Swelling (edema) of the arm is an indication of inflammation or disturbances of blood or lymph flow causing a swollen appearance of the hand, forearm or fingers. The swelling may be accompanied by other signs and symptoms which may assist with diagnosing the cause of the swollen arm.
Infections and Infestations's Articles Archives
A swollen lymph node or gland is a term commonly used to describe lymphadenopathy, a condition associated with enlarged lymph nodes in a specific area of the body (localized) or throughout the entire body (generalized lymphadenopathy). Lymphadenopathy is an indicator of a disorder affecting a certain area of the body or a generalized condition throughout the body.
Dental caries (tooth/teeth cavities) afflicts most of us at some point in life and is the second most common condition in humans after the common cold and flu. A tooth cavity is the gradual breakdown of the tooth structure due to microbial growth. Erosion of the outer lining of the tooth (enamel) is followed by the destruction of the inner layer (dentin).
A tooth cavity occurs as a result of a combination of factors.
- Food particles get trapped on and between the teeth after eating.
- Along with mucus, dead epithelial cells (from the mouth lining) and bacteria, a thin soft film, known as plaque coats the teeth.
- This provides the ideal medium for oral bacteria to feed upon food debris.
- Bacteria like Mutans streptococci and related groups, break down food particles and produce lactic acid as a byproduct. It is this lactic acid that is responsible for eroding tooth enamel and causing tooth cavities.
What is swine flu?
Swine flu , now known as the 2009 H1N1 flu, is caused by the orthomyxovirus which usually affects pigs but viral mutations allows the virus to cross species to other hosts like humans. The swine influenza virus (SIV) is another example of cross species viral infection which was previously seen with other zoonotic infections like in civets to humans (SARS or Sudden Acute Respiratory Syndrome) and from birds to humans as seen with avian (bird) flu.
Unlike SARS and bird flu, swine flu has mutated to the point where the virus can now spread from human-to-human. This current mutation is the cause of the global scare of the recent 2009 outbreak which is feared to become a pandemic.
continue reading Swine H1N1 Flu Spread-Cause, Symptoms, Treatment, Prevention
What Causes Diarrhea in Small Children?
The main cause of diarrhea in children under 5 years of age is rotavirus that causes gastroenteritis – an inflammation of the inner layer of the stomach and small intestine.
Symptoms of Stomach Flu
Symptoms of a rotavirus infection resemble influenza – from here the term stomach flu. There is no connection between stomach flu and influenza, though. Symptoms of stomach flu (viral diarrhea) include:
- Fever, headache, followed by..
- ..watery diarrhea and vomiting that appear 1-2 days after the infection and usually last for 3-8 days (1).
- Symptoms of dehydration: drowsiness or restlessness, thirst (which may not necessary be present!), decreased urination or, in severe cases, sunken eyes, sunken fontanel, and decreased consciousness.
- In the Western world, rotavirus diarrhea is usually a mild disease, but in some parts of Africa, Middle and South America and south Asia over 1 million of children dye from it each year, mainly from dehydration.
- ABCD – First Aid: Injuries, Poisoning
- Addiction: Alcohol, Drugs, Smoking
- Blood and Immunity
- Bones, Joints, Muscles and Connective Tissue Diseases
- Children's Health
- Current Health Articles
- Diagnostic Procedures
- Ears, Nose and Throat
- Eyes and Vision
- Gastro-Intestinal Diseases
- Genetic Diseases
- Heart and Vessels
- Hormones and Metabolism
- Infections and Infestations
- Kidneys and Urinary Tract
- Liver and Gallbladder
- Medical Questions
- Medical Terminology
- Medication, Supplements
- Men's Health
- Mental Health
- Mouth and Teeth Diseases
- Neurological Diseases
- Skin, Hair, Nails
- Sleep Related Disorders
- Surgery and Other Procedures
- Upper and Lower Limb
- Women's Health and Pregnancy